Thursday, October 13, 2011

downtown, no finer place for sure




Here was our Saturday.

We woke up at a decent time and after getting some work done we headed out to Paul's for breakfast.  I know we've raved about Paul's before, but it really is an amazing place.  So bright and nice and fancy.  I honestly feel like a bit of an imposter there.  I keep waiting for them to find me out and ask me to leave.  Anyway, for breakfast we had Eggs Benedict which also came with cappuccino, fresh squeezed orange juice, lots of bread and pastries and a fruit cup (a mug actually). 




After our leisurely breakfast we decided to go on a bit of a walking tour around the downtown area.  Our first stop was the Cartier diamond store where we looked at outrageously expensive watches and jewelry - I saw an open catalog on the counter that listed watches for around $6,000.  After that little fantasy it was off to get lotion at L'Occitane.  Mom and Dad introduced us to the store over the summer and though we knew the name was French I don't think we realized that is was an actual French company until we passed the store in a taxi a few weeks ago.  How fun to be introduced to a store in Indianapolis and then find one in Casablanca too.

We then headed off past the Twin Center to where all the consulates are located.  We'd love to show you a picture of the U.S. Consulate, but right after we took a picture a nice Moroccan guard with a big night stick came over and asked us to erase our photo.  So instead of the consulate please enjoy this photo of the Cafe Americana Grill across the street.




It was then off to the Arab League Park which was a nice respite from the hubbub of the city.  It was very quiet and green and offered lots of places to relax or play.  Becky and I plan to return with our baseball mitts and play some catch though we've laughed that a crowd may soon form around the crazy Americans playing their national pastime.  









We then headed home.  As we got close to Bir Anzarane Street, Becky and Nikki headed on to Fat Daddy's restaurant near our apartment and I headed off to get a shave and a haircut.  What an experience!  After a nice haircut that came with a head massage the barber pulled up the headrest, tilted back my head, lathered me up and gave me a straight-razor shave.  I've always wanted to have a straight-razor shave and I was not left disappointed.  

Later than night we headed out to a mixer at the Churchill Club for the staff members of the three American schools in Casablanca.  Though we didn't do much mixing we had a good time and enjoyed saying we were at the Churchill Club.




Thoroughly exhausted by our busy day, we headed for home and then to bed for a wonderful night's sleep.



1 comment:

  1. The pictures are beautiful, as usual! Looks like you guys are having a great time! I'm incredibly mesmerized by the trees.

    ReplyDelete